The Value of Healthcare Team Training and Crew Resource Management Team Training
Why is it important to successfully develop healthcare team skills?
A team is defined as a group of two or more individuals who must interact and adapt in order to achieve a common objective. Two aspects of the nature of teamwork are important: (1) the individual’s ability to function as a member of the team and (2) the entire team’s ability to function as an efficient collective entity. Several factors such as task demands, team composition, and the organizational context, influence team performance. Teams must be able to accomplish tasks as a unit, yet team members have individual tasks that may change from member to member and from day to day.
Each team member must therefore possess general team competencies and skills which can be transferred from task to task and from team to team. One main objective of human factors team training is encouraging participation from individual members while developing the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully perform as a group member.
The successful development of healthcare team skills and the establishment of consistent and sustainable teamwork models offer the following benefits to hospitals and healthcare organizations:
- Increased levels of patient safety;
- Synergistic process design and problem solving;
- Objective analysis of healthcare problems and opportunities;
- Promotion of cross-functional understanding;
- Improved healthcare and patient safety quality and overall productivity;
- Greater innovation;
- Reduced hospital operating costs;
- Increased commitment to organizational mission;
- More flexible response to change;
- Increased ownership and stewardship;
- Reduced turnover and absenteeism.
Individual team members gain the following benefits from Crew Resource Management training and human factor skill development:
- Enhanced problem-solving skills;
- Increased knowledge of interpersonal dynamics;
- Broader knowledge of business processes;
- New skills for future leadership roles;
- Increased quality of work life;
- Feelings of satisfaction and commitment;
- A sense of being part of something greater than what one could accomplish alone.
At the conclusion of Crew Resource Management, lean healthcare training or healthcare team training created specifically for your organizations needs participants are expected to exhibit proficiency in the following areas:
- Understand how teamwork and communication contribute to patient safety;
- Describe techniques used for effective teamwork, communication, situational awareness, decision making and assertiveness in healthcare;
- Create and perform customized team briefings and debriefings in the OR;
- Exhibit proficiency using the SBAR technique;
- Understand and respect personal communication styles;
- Develop strategies to integrate teamwork and communication tools successfully in their local hospital environment or department.
The Need for Sustainability
Sustained implementation of a Crew Resource Management program requires a framework for the development of recurring team crew resource management, lean healthcare or healthcare team training courses based on assessments, learning objectives, updated educational methods, best practices in healthcare, and evaluation strategies. If team skills are demonstrated to be optimized and training improves patient safety when measuring against established metrics, it should be considered an integral part of healthcare personnel and clinical team member development.
Learn More about Safer Healthcare
We welcome your questions and inquiries about our lean healthcare , patient safety, crew resource management in healthcare, SBAR healthcare and TeamSTEPPS programs, products and services.
Contact our team of experts to learn how we can help your organization with Crew Resource Management training, lean healthcare training or healthcare team training designed specifically for your organization to help increase patient safety and improve the quality of care while maximizing profitability. Call our offices to speak with one of our customer service representatives today.
- Toll-free (US only): 866 398 8083
- Phone: 303 298 8083
- Email: email@example.com